Re: Islamic art, mobiles, and pins

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 17:12:41 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "Ann Carolan" <acarolan@inland.k12.mi.us>
> I purposely used Islamic art as an opportunity to discuss the goodness of
> the majority of Moslems, just as Pres. Bush took the time to explain this
> to the country last night. If we don't educate people regarding tolerance
> and respect, who will? The star pattern is an excellent one for explaining
> their belief in using geometric shapes. If you make a circle and segment
> it with the same measurement as the radius, you can make a flower pattern,
> also and extend the design out to the edges of the paper to make a
> beautiful pattern to color.
**********************

This reminds me of a project I did with elem. kids when I taught summer
school art/math to 3-7th graders...yep...all in one room. THAT! was
interesting. Anyway, we made geometric circles like the sunflower
petals...you know...the six petals...with compass on newsprint. We made a
smaller circle inside about 1" radius. We stacked this drawing on top of 6
pieces of reg. newspaper with another sheet of newsprint underneath. All
were stapled together in the center with one staple. We cut out the stapled
8-layered stack carefully so it looked like a flower with 6 petals (and 8
layers thick) and a small, round center. We pasted the 8 layers of paper
together really well making sure each layer was completely covered in paste.
The top layer was also coated with paste.

After pasting everything, we curled up the edges of the petals into a 3-D
flower and let it dry and harden. We spray-painted these when dry,
decorated, and added a backing pin. These made lovely wearable art pins and
are were easy to make.

These could make nice hanging mobile items as well. The pasted layers make a
pretty durable, hard surface to work with. I'm sitting here already thinking
of other possibilities. Toodles....Bunki

---