Re: Islamic art links (for those interested)

---------

From: Ann Carolan (acarolan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 10:33:26 PDT

I purposely used Islamic art as an opportunity to discuss the goodness of
the majority of Moslems, just as Pres. Bush took the time to explain this
to the country last night. If we don't educate people regarding tolerance
and respect, who will? The star pattern is an excellent one for explaining
their belief in using geometric shapes. If you make a circle and segment
it with the same measurement as the radius, you can make a flower pattern,
also and extend the design out to the edges of the paper to make a
beautiful pattern to color.
 Remember what he said: the majority of Moslems are good, peaceful,
God-fearing people. The terrorists have perverted religion to suit their
own evil purposes.
We teach children, not subjects and the most important thing we can do is
teach them to be good citizens and of good character and virtue through
our example and through our own courage to right the wrongs in society
through education.
ann c

---