Re: baskets, continued

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 19:20:51 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
>From: "Deb Mortl" <dmortl@hotmail.com>
> OK, I was just looking at your website and I am SO IMPRESSED! The baskets
> are fabulous. On the one I made (which was TINY, BTW) I also sewed some
> seed beads around the top.

That sounds really enticing. Can you scan it and send me a pic? I'd love to
see what you did.

> How many needles are you using in each "bunch".
> I was only using about 5, and it was taking forever.

About 15 separate needles in total or slightly less...by that I mean 15
divided by 3 so that's five "bunches" at a time since each needle set is
usually 3 needles each, right? Some of the kids were using slightly more and
then didn't like how it came out.

>I also can't see as
> much of the needles on my basket, I think they were shorter. How long are
> your needles?

I had med. sized needles...approx. 6-8" long. The longer needles I found
were also THINNER so they didn't work as well and you would need more of
them to make a "thickness". I think it all depends on what you can get your
hands on.

>I don't think we have the same kind of trees in WI...
> Thanks for any info, help!> Deb

I really don't think it makes a difference unless you have REALLY short
needles and that will just take you longer to make a basket.

The last one I made, I used purple pony beads around the top and added light
purple feathers. It's really neat. I haven't taken a pic of it yet. I don't
think I will show it to the kids because I think they might get overly
excited about using decorative stuff instead of dwelling on the basket as
much. We'll see the next time. As I don't have a year-long class this year,
I think I'm going to try the coiled yarn baskets this time for a change.
Never done this with the kids before so looking forward to it.
Toodles....Bunki

If you try it with the kids, let us know how it turns out.

---