Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Power Of One

From: Vivian Komando (komandv_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 18:39:39 PDT

As the soot and dirt and ash rained down,
We became one color.
As we carried each other down the stairs of the burning
We became one class.
As we lit candles of waiting and hope,
We became one generation.
As the firefighters and police offficers fought their way
into the
We become one gender.
As we fell to our knees in prayer for strength,
We became one faith.
As we whispered or shouted words of encouragement,
We spoke one language.
As we gave blood in lines a mile long,
We became one body.
As we mourned together the great loss,
We became one family.
As we cried tears of grief and loss
We became one soul.
As we retell with pride, the sacrifice of heros
We become one people.
We are
One color
One class
One generation
One gender
One faith
One language
One body
One soul
One people

We are the power of one.
We are united.
We are America.

by Cheryl Sawyer University of Houston

Increase the Peace ~^~ {^}Each time a (Hu)man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, (s)he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. Robert F. Kennedy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Visit our High School art Page: