Re: peacemaker

---------

From: mark alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 06:07:15 PDT

Roberta,

When I use the term 'humanist,' I mean having concern for human
welfare, values, and dignity. I consider myself a humanist, but I do
not reject God in the equation as many Humanists do. In fact, I am a
Christian.

I accept the fact that other people's faith is often different than my
own, and I seldom discuss my faith except with my own family, church
family and close friends, and I NEVER evangelize. As a humanist, I feel
it's important for each individual to feel free to follow whatever
faith they feel most comfortable with.

Like you, I find bible thumping to be quite counter productive in most
debate situations. Faith isn't scientifically provable. No one else's
faith is either. The nature of one's faith is that it's just a real
strong belief, not fact, so when I hear people quoting verse to make
their point, I just kind of switch it off. They lose me and they fail
to make their point. I often just hit delete, even if they're
apparently standing on my side of an issue.

Judging by your comments over the years, I think you'd make a good
neighbor, too.

Peace, Mark