It is time for me to go

---------

From: Dawn M Low (dawn1881_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 05:24:53 PDT

I have been on this list for several years-- not always speaking, but
receiving ideas and information from others. For the pas two years or so,
I have felt that this board has degraded quite a bit from being an
excellent communication tool for teachers and arts professionals who are
often isolated from their peers to just being a silly forum for people to
talk about just about anything other than art and teaching.

The events of the past week have been troubling to say the least, and it
is natural that people would want to discuss the implications with their
friends and co-workers. However, many of the items I have seen posted on
here-- and ARGUED over-- have been riduculous and should not have been
placed in this forum (i.e. Nostradamus, "Bomb the **** out of them" and
"Bombing them with Butter"). In the past I have just pressed the "delete"
button to get rid of garbage erroneously taking up space on this
listserve. However, now I feel the items being placed in this forum are
no longer intelligent or thought out-- it is no better than the spam sent
to me by e-telemarketers. And the garbage on this listserve seems to
outweigh the pedegogical conversation.

It is no wonder that few people give credit to the power of the arts to
educate. If they looked at this forum, it would only reinforce the idea
that art teachers are dingbats. I know there are many people on this
listserve who are strong educators, and I hope that despite this forum,
our profession can become even stronger.

There is nothing wrong with discussing this tragedy here, but I had
rather hoped for more sensible conversation to spring up. The above
mentioned posts were just too stupid to even bother responding.
Hopefully, someday this forum can have a moderator to weed out the
extraneous junk.

Good luck and best wishes to you all.

-Dawn Low

---