Florida art teacher suspended after parents complain

---------

From: croberts (croberts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 02:58:14 PDT

This article appeared in our local paper...

BOCA RATON, Fla...An art teacher has been suspended for allowing second
graders to express their feelings about last week's terrorist attacks
through drawings and answering their questions about hijacking someone at
knifepoint.

Patricia Bowes said Wednesday that her suspension is indefinite pending an
investigation by Addison Mizner Elementary School. Principal Carol Crilley
did not return calls seeking comment.

Bowes said she gave them the option of doing drawings related to the attacks
or continuing with autobiographical sketches. Some did each.

"They were very inquisitive...asking what kind of day was it, how much
smoke, how many towers," she said. "They asked me how is it possible to
hijack a plane at knifepoint. I told them that you go for the artery, it
would kill someone."
I teach high school and one of my classes of seniors wanted to do a piece of
work to express their feelings about last Tuesday. They have brought in
copies of newspapers and have purchased magazines for the photos. They want
this to be something they can keep. Some have done mixed media
collages/drawings, one did his on the computer using images manipulated in
PhotoShop, and some have just done drawings as they wanted to keep all of
their newspapers intact. They have had many questions and have discussed
this in class. This has been a good way for them to express their emotions
and feelings about 9-11.
Carolyn

---