Re: "America Rebuilds", Art lesson ideas

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 19:32:18 PDT

Dear All,

I have resurrected the origami peace cranes, also. I have tried to explain or
get the children to verbalize their feelings about peace. Both my schools are
folding cranes as witness to their wishes for peace on earth. I read Sadako's
story, again, and the classes want to send the cranes to President Bush.

Some of my younger classes have discussed symbols like the American flag, bald
eagle, white peace dove, hearts (some talked about McDonald's Golden Arches!!
LOL!) and have illustrated through drawing and collage, what symbol is
important to them or their favorite.

First and second graders today talked about what peace meant to them...no
fighting, quiet, calm, "you're not feeling jumpy inside," etc. Where is their
special peaceful place? What are they doing when they feel at peace?
Children illustrated these thoughts and feelings, also. One little 1st grader
told me he felt his most peaceful when he could watch big, strong choo-choo
trains chugging by and listen to their whistles. One little 1st grader drew a
picture of a flag pole, with beautifully colored flags hanging at all angles
and directions from the pole...it was incredible.

Letting them talk, listening, responding honestly without elaborating or
giving too much info has been my course of action. Each class has another
connection to this horrific event.

So sad,

Sandy

nina spangler wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions for ways elementary age
> kids can make artwork to support our national resolve
> to fight this terrorism, encourage our leaders and
> citizens and preserve our country's identity?

---