flag projects

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 15:50:50 PDT

I've been debating whether to change lesson plans to reflect what's been
happening or keep them going with what we normally would do. Both
choices have merit. Normal is good especially now, but then, even our
elementary children in SC have been touched by all the events of the
past week. The huge interest in the American flag has touched me and
part of art is being aware of your surroundings. One local company that
makes flags has had such a huge demand that the workers volunteered to
work on their off days just be patriotic and fill the orders. Anyway, as
classes finished projects this week and we needed some fillers....I did
a drawing lesson with my older students on doing a 3-d flag-waving in
the breeze. I used one of the pages from the Jay Connolly (sp?) drawings
series that show how to do banners and scrolls. They love playing around
with drawing 3-d and did flags on poles, banners (God Bless America)
etc. It was a good tie in for discussing symbolism in art. I also
brought in several pages from our local newspaper with photos of flags
and we looked at real flags to see the draping. Several teachers asked
for copy of the handout since they were doing poems, stories,etc..they
wanted to let students illustrate. Also a 4th grade teacher called me to
borrow blue and red paint and I would like to share what he did with his
students. They painted their palms blue and fingers red and then pressed
their hand (with fingers spread out) sideways on a poster board. When
the hand dried they used white-out (or white paint and q-tips) to dot
stars in. Made a neat flag border for a poem they printed on the poster.
I could send a digital photo from school if you have trouble picturing
it.
        Jeryl in SC

---