Re: Patriotic Lesson

---------

From: Suzette Milam (smilam_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 17:55:06 PDT

Hi everyone. It has been a long time since I shared. I have appreciated all
of the enthusiastic, caring folks that take time to
 put wonderful tidbits of goodies for us all. I plan to share much more this
year now that life within my house has settled down some.
The story of "Sadako And The Thousand Cranes" has been very good to talk
about and creating the cranes that fly when you pull them, rocks the house
in high school. It is much more successful if you sit at each table and do
this together lock step while others are working on another project. The
Ahhhhh! moment when they get the final deal is so much fun!
Thanks for sharing that one!

The second thing I wanted to share is Betsy Ross 1-cut five point stars are
do-able with all grades and can be a whole lesson in radial symmetry. We did
a display case with red and white stripes with a solid blue field, then hung
the stars down from the top of the glass case at different heights. The
kids also created radial designs with red white and blue on the stars. We
mixed them with the various size white ones. I have added two sites. One
that tells some facts about Betsy Ross. Did you know she was one of 17 kids?
The other site is the step by step to creating the five point star.
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flaglife.html

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagstar.html
 I hope this helps some folks. I have a great sketchbook lesson for you high
school teahers too. I need to post pictures for it to really make sense. How
is the best way for me to share those with all of you exemplary teachers out
there?
Suzette Milam
Porterville High School
California