Re: patriotic lessons

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 18:34:08 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: BluesTruth@aol.com
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2001 9:16 PM
Subject: Re: patriotic lessons

Leah,
What a great idea!! Tell me something, if it's a paper chain flag, how do
you create the stars? And how do you display it so it doesn't fall on the
floor?
Thanks
Leah,
Jill (BT)

---
The field of blue will be flat paper, although, today I was thinking it may
look better with chains, so I may have some older kids do blue chains (I'll
just glue the stars to the front).  I've been stapling the chains to one
another to connect them.  I think I'm going to hang the whole thing over the
railing of the steps in our lobby.  It will hang and be flexible.  However,
it's a lot heavier than I expected, so I have to figure out how to disperse
the weight.  It's a work in progress.  Oh, the principals came up with a
nice idea to go along with the chain flag.  Every person in the school
(students, staff, everyone) will write their name on a red/white or blue
link.  We'll connect those into a chain and stretch it as far as it can go
around the school to show our unity and support for our great country.  I'm
also going to make some huge hand print flags with my fourth graders.  It
may seem simplistic, but it will give me a chance to teach about our flag,
and the display will be inspirational.  Plus, I find the group work, and the
symbols of the chain links and many hands to be symbolic of the meaning of
our flag.  We'll talk about that, too.
Leah
---