Re: wooden/cardboard boxes

---------

From: John Kupcinski (jckup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 10:23:50 PDT

Thanks, Sidnie, for the recycling cardboard box idea. I've been collecting
some boxes, and thinking of doing a Cornel (sp?) type project. I still
have a long way to go to get enough for a class.

But here's another: In the November, 1994, issue of School Arts (pages
38-40), Ken Vieth submitted an article called "Tower of Freedom." In it he
describes how he had his high school students discuss different aspects of
freedom (through a questionnaire) and then create symbols expressing their
thoughts on four sides of various sized boxes. It looks, from the
accompanying pictures, that painted images, colored pencil and collage
images were used. The boxes were then assembled into a "tower." (His boxes
were made from foam core.) Somehow, the thought of a tower and freedom
seems very symbolic right now. A very impressive lesson / display.

BTW, on Saturday, I stopped by the US embassy here in Moscow. I took a
picture of the flowers that russians have been leaving there. I couldn't
help but cry. If anyone would like to see it, email me privately.

Cheryl

---