Hit the Buildings, Missed America

---------

From: Deb Hyland (hyland5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 20:13:11 PDT

Something I received from a relative, that was forwarded to her. Not
sure I agree 100% with everything, but it helped a little to read it.
(I've decided that the sadness for me is worse this week then last -
last week I was so unbelieving of all of this - it was like a bad "B"
movie, but now the reality is setting in . . .
Deb

Hit the buildings, Missed America . . . .

An open letter to a terrorist:

Well, you hit the World Trade Center, but you missed America. You hit
the Pentagon, but you missed America.
You used helpless American bodies, to take out other American bodies,
but like a poor marksman, you STILL
missed America.

Why? Because of something you guys will never understand. America isn't
about a building or two, not
about financial centers, not about military centers, America isn't about
a place, America isn't even about
a bunch of bodies. America is about an IDEA. An idea, that you can go
someplace where you can earn as much
as you can figure out how to, live for the most part, like you
envisioned living, and pursue Happiness. (No
guarantees that you'll reach it, but you can sure try!)

Go ahead and whine your terrorist whine, and chant your terrorist
litany: "If you can not see my point,
then feel my pain." This concept is alien to Americans. We live in a
country where we don't have to
see your point. But you're free to have one. We don't have to listen to
your speech. But you're free to say
one. Don't know where you got the strange idea that everyone has to
agree with you. We don't agree with
each other in this country, almost as a matter of pride. We're a
collection of guys that don't agree,
called States. We united our individual states to protect ourselves from
tyranny in the world. Another
idea, we made up on the spot. You CAN make it up as you go, when it's
your country.
                   If you're free enough.

Yeah, we're fat, sloppy, easy-going goofs most of the time. That's an
unfortunate image to project to the
world, but it comes of feeling free and easy about the world you live
in. It's unfortunate too, because
people start to forget that when you attack Americans, they tend to
fight like a cornered badger. The first
we knew of the War of 1812, was when England burned Washington D.C. to
the ground. Didn't turn out like
England thought it was going to, and it's not going to turn out like you
think, either. Sorry, but you're not
the first bully on our shores, just the most recent. No Marquis of
Queensbury rules for Americans, either.
We were the FIRST and so far, only country in the world to use nuclear
weapons in anger. Horrific idea,
nowadays? News for you bucko, it was back then too, but we used it
anyway. Only had two of them in the
whole world and we used 'em both. Grandpa Jones worked on the Manhattan
Project. Told me once, that right up
until they threw the switch, the physicists were still arguing over
whether the Uranium alone would fission,
or whether it would start a fissioning chain reaction that would eat
everything. But they threw the switch
anyway, because we had a War to win. Does that tell you something about
American Resolve?

So who just declared War on us? It would be nice to point to some real
estate, like the good old days.
Unfortunately, we're probably at war with random camps, in far-flung
places. Who think they're safe.
Just like the Barbary Pirates did, IIRC. Better start sleeping with one
eye open.
There's a spirit that tends to take over people who come to this
country, looking for opportunity, looking
for liberty, looking for freedom. Even if they misuse it. The
Marielistas that Castro emptied
out of his prisons, were overjoyed to find out how much freedom there
was. First thing they did when they
hit our shores, was run out and buy guns. The ones that didn't end up
dead, ended up in prisons. It was a
big PITA then (especially in south Florida), but you're only the newest
PITA, not the first.

You guys seem to be incapable of understanding that we don't live in
America, America lives in US! American
Spirit is what it's called. And killing a few thousand of us, or a few
million of us, won't change it. Most
of the time, it's a pretty happy-go-lucky kind of Spirit. Until we're
crossed in a cowardly manner, then
it becomes an entirely different kind of Spirit.

Wait until you see what we do with that Spirit, this time.

Sleep tight, if you can. We're coming.

                    Charles Brennan

---