Re: tattoos

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 16:57:25 PDT

Sidnie Miller wrote:

> I was just wondering..and this list is all knowing so I thought I'd ask.
> In the old days you could not give blood if you had a tattoo. Is this
> still the case? What is the reason??

A radio station in Flagstaff was soliciting blood donors, and they could
not have tatoos or piercings less than a year old. I'm guessing it's
because if the donor was infected with HIV, it would test positive when
before using the blood. (It can take 6 mos. to a year for the HIV
cooties to show up in a blood test)

Maggie

---