From Art-to-Art Palette Winter News edition ...Opinion Page

---------

From: Patricia Rayman (art-to-art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 08:16:50 PDT

FROM BENíS DESK
   My two-cents revisited
     As I reflect upon my own childhood school days, art education was not
an integrated subject offered; moreover, limited to lined notebook paper
and crayons. I think my ďspecialtyĒ were stick figures and the basic house
 structure! There werenít any Oregonís Susan Whipples or Wisconsinís Karen
Crosbys or Montanaís Bill OíConners. There wasnít any learning or an
exchange of true knowledge from teacher to student. However, I discovered
one of my human roles on this earth is one that accepts, appreciates and
must strongly advocate this vital education. I just donít want any young
person to have to wait until they hit the threshold of adulthood and have
to wade through the misconceptions by being exposed to mediocrity. Art
education must be firmly embodied within those preschool years and
continued throughout every young personís primary and secondary
educations.
     Art-to-Artís curriculum format is not to serve as an extensive or
detailed encyclopedia of facts and figures, however fully integrated in
both school and educator methods to improve learning through and by
innovative ways. The programís foundation is to perform as a hands-on,
working subsidiary educational tool which challenges the student to seek
deeper academic knowledge of geographical, historical and cultural
differences by sharing common interests among peers within the walls of
the United States of America and beyond our nationís borders.
     My objective in the above is not to solely read as though I am
plugging this education as the means to the end; although, the merge of
both a strong academic and arts learning does solidly implant ďthe
understanding that diversity creates movement which generates knowledge.Ē
Talent should not be the sole descriptive words used in evaluating human
differences; otherwise, the outcome wonít fuel and foster those
motivational powers to arouse higher self-expectations, regardless if
disadvantaged, disabled or gifted. Learning must focus on the measured
effects that are educationally meaningful by creating an avid curiosity
and thirst-hunger for new life and knowledge.
     Art-to-Art is a program constructed to enable the student to identify
his/her own strengths and impose the discipline of structure which assist
them to acquire more in-depth knowledge and prepare them to live more
easily in our changing world.

[To learn more about Art-to-Art, please contact Patricia Rayman at
art-to-art@bright.net. Program is entering its 16th year.]

---