Re: wooden/cardboard boxes

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 07:48:07 PDT

Hi Anna, our school had a ton of cardboard flats from soda cans which fill
our drink machines. Measure the length of the bottom of the flat,
subtract the height of the box walls (around 2"), divide that remaining
distance in half=D. Measure D from one side of the bottom and draw a
line pressing with a blunt object so you can easily fold on it. Now
measure D from the other side and line and fold. The bottom should now
have a little strip in the center the same height as the walls (approx.
2") Slit around 2"(wall height) at the 4 edges of this center strip so
that you have
little tabs. You should be able to fold this up into a nice little box
and glue the tabs to one part to create a bottom with a folding lid. I
know these directions sound complicated, but just get a box flat and do it
one step at a time and it will make sense. We then painted a base coat
with white housepaint and then painted with tempera. The kids used these
to store small items--and were kind of impressed that you could recycle
such a seemingly worthless box. Sid

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #