Fwd: Another perspective...

---------

ArtVaderr_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 09:04:06 PDT

<< This was written by Tamim Ansary, an Afghani-American writer. Here is his
 take on Afghanistan and the whole mess we are in.

 I've been hearing a lot of talk about "bombing Afghanistan back to the Stone
 Age." Ronn Owens, on KGO Talk Radio today, allowed that this would mean
 killing innocent people, people who had nothing to do with this atrocity,
but
 "we're at war, we have to accept collateral damage. What else can we do?"
 Minutes later I heard some TV pundit discussing whether we "have the belly
 do what must be done." And I thought about the issues being raised
 especially hard because I am from Afghanistan, and even though I've lived
 here for 35 years I've never lost track of what's going on there. So I want
 to tell anyone who will listen how it all looks from where I'm standing. I
 speak as one who hates the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden. There is no doubt in
 my mind that these people were responsible for the atrocity in New York. I
 agree that something must be done about those monsters. But the Taliban and
 Ben Laden are not Afghanistan. They're not even the government of
 Afghanistan. The Taliban are a cult of ignorant psychotics who took over
 Afghanistan in 1997. Bin Laden is a political criminal with a plan. When you
 think Taliban, think Nazis. When you think Bin Laden, think Hitler. And when
 you think "the people of Afghanistan" think "the Jews in the concentration
 camps." It's not only that the Afghan people had nothing to do with this
 atrocity. They were the first victims of the perpetrators. They would exult
 if someone would come in there, take out the Taliban and clear out the rats
 nest of international thugs holed up in their country. Some say, why don't
 the Afghans rise up and overthrow the Taliban? The answer is, they're
 starved, exhausted, hurt, incapacitated, suffering. A few years ago, the
 United Nations estimated that there are 500,000 disabled orphans in
 Afghanistan--a country with no economy, no food. There are millions of
 widows. And the Taliban has been burying these widows alive in mass graves.
 The soil is littered wi! th land mines, the farms were all destroyed by the
 Soviets. These are a few of the reasons why the Afghan people have not
 overthrown the Taliban. We come now to the question of bombing Afghanistan
 back to the Stone Age. Trouble is, that's been done. The Soviets took care
 of it already. Make the Afghans suffer? They're already suffering. Level
 their houses? Done. Turn their schools into piles of rubble? Done.
Eradicate
 their hospitals? Done. Destroy their infrastructure? Cut them off from
 medicine and health care? Too late. Someone already did all that. New bombs
 would only stir the rubble of earlier bombs. Would they at east get the
 Taliban? Not likely. In today's Afghanistan, only the Taliban eat, only they
 have the means to move around. They'd slip away and hide. Maybe the bombs
 would get some of those disabled orphans, they don't move too fast, they
 don't even have wheelchairs. But flying over Kabul and dropping bombs
 wouldn't really be a strike against the criminals who did this horrific
 thing. Actually it would only be making common cause with the Taliban--by
 raping once again the people they've been raping all this time
 So what else is there? What can be done, then? Let me now speak with true
 fear and trembling. The only way to get Bin Laden is to go in there with
 ground troops. When people speak of "having the belly to do what needs to be
 done" they're thinking in terms of having the belly to kill as many as
 needed. Having the belly to overcome any moral qualms about killing innocent
 people. Let's pull our heads out of the sand. What's actually on the table
is
 Americans dying. And not just because some Americans would die fighting
their
 way through Afghanistan to Bin Laden's hideout. It's much bigger than that
 folks. Because to get any troops to Afghanistan, we'd have to go through
 Pakistan. Would they let us? Not likely. The conquest of Pakistan would have
 to be first. Will other Muslim nations just stand by? You see where I'm
 going. We're flirting with a world war between Islam and the West. And
guess
 what: that's Bin Laden's program. That's exactly what he wants. That's why
 he did this. Read his speeches and statements. It's all right there. He
 really believes Islam would beat the west. It might seem ridiculous, but he
 figures if he can polarize the world into Islam and the West, he's got a
 billion soldiers. If the west wreaks a holocaust in those lands, that's a
 billion people with nothing left to lose, that's even better from Bin
Laden's
 point of view. He's probably wrong, in the end the west would win, whatever
 that would mean, but the war would last for years and millions would die,
not
 just theirs but ours. Who has the belly for that? Bin Laden does. Anyone
 else?

 Julie Chilton
 Principal, Williams Middle School
 180 Walnut Street
 Chelsea, Massachusetts 02150
 617-889-8652
 SingAlongs@AOL.com
 http://members.aol.com/jewelsong

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

Sorry, but Lyris ListManager did not find your email address
-> "DeDeRuss@aol.com"

listed as a member of artsednet.

Only members of artsednet are allowed to contribute messages.

Because Lyris ListManager could not confirm that you are a member of artsednet,
your message was not accepted.

---