Re: HS - no supplies help

---------

From: Vivian Komando (komandv_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 08:50:32 PDT

I am experiencing some "budget setbacks" so in an attempt
to extend the clay that I have (for 3 3D and Sculpture
/AP classes and 3 different levels of IB art) for the
year, I thought of doing an anatomy lesson with newspaper
and masking tape. The kids brought their own tape.

After going over the proportions of the figure, I
demonstrated how to wad newspaper and attach sections
with masking tape. The students were to make a life size
model of themselves from the waist up. We would have done
full size, but storage space is lacking for these large
projects. Once the armature is complete the students are
going to use elmers and water and cover them with brown
paper bags or the end rolls of some colored paper that I
have had for years.

I am amazed at what the kids have created! The torsos are
to have arms and hands - and the hands that are being
made - well, the hands are incredible...and are just
newspaper and tape! I am trying to document the process
(when the library will allow me to borrow the Mavica)so I
can post them on our web page.

And as an aside - working with the girls on the proper
location of certain parts of their anatomy has created
giggles among them (and me) and has helped relieve some
of the tension and stress in class as many of our parents
and neighbors are leaving to serve their military duty.
We hear the planes leaving in the early morning and late
at night. Calls are coming in that orders to leave have
been given. Our students are still facing much more in
the days to come, as we all are. I feel the art room is a
haven for my students - we laugh and we cry together.

~^~
Vivian

=====
Increase the Peace ~^~ {^}Each time a (Hu)man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, (s)he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. Robert F. Kennedy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Visit our High School art Page: http://members.home.net/artzheart