why glue- Re: thoughts on pantyhose sculpture painting.....

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 06:10:22 PDT

Bunki- thanks for the tip about smoothing out the tempera cracks by rewetting
them.
My other question is what is the deal with gesso? why did it turn that thing
rubbery?

The reason I'm insisting on the glue step when I can save money and time by
skipping it:

Saving money is one reason I am doing this project because every supply was
donated aside from glue and paint. Glue is a supply I have in abundance-
about a five year supply at the moment plus big refill jugs. I know that stuff
gets stringy if it gets old and some of it is already turning yellow. I need a
use for this glue.

About saving time- I don't want to do that. I have kids who would finish this
project in one class period if I gave them all the supplies (skipping the
glue). Two minutes to bend the wire, 5 minutes to fiddle with the hose, 15
minutes to slap on the paint, and I would be hearing "I'm done!" I want some
time invested in the project, and the glue step is important for that reason.
Taking a couple of class days to glue this thing won't turn it into drudgery.
I want kids to experience working long and hard on art and getting satisfaction
out of it.

Also, I do want the sculptures to be as solid as possible. I read someone
else's post about kids poking things through the models/ examples that a
teacher had made. My kids are 5th graders, and most have plenty of curious
siblings. When these things go home, I want them to be able to withstand some
abuse. I know they need to because the first question out of my kid's mouths
is always: do we get to keep it? So I don't want to send something home that
looks cool, but breaks immediately.

anyway, that's to everyone who has posted about this lesson.

---