Re: 1000 paper cranes

---------

From: Cecilia Gollan (GollanC_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 10:58:10 PDT

Thank for this great project. My plan was to just do it with one of my 8th grade classes, but my gut told me to continue with my other classes. I was amazed at the response to students. My second 8th grade class wasn't s excited as the first one, but the message I sent was the same. I have started the Peace Dove with 6th graders. Instead of making smaller versions they have insisted on 18X24. THEY LOOK SO AWESOME! I can't even express my feelings. I have felt sick to my stomach all week. Thank for you sharing your thoughts everyone.

Peace,

Cecilia
>>> sharon@art-rageous.net 09/12/01 02:29PM >>>
Students at my school today resolved to make 1000 paper cranes (origami) which we will "install" in our large dining hall.... We'll probably put 10 cranes on each piece of fishing line, and cluster them in one large group of 100 lines/1000 cranes....

I told them today about the Japanese legend (making 1000 paper cranes to make a wish come true) and about the 12 year old girl who in 1955 was dying of radiation poisoning following the bombing of Hiroshima. The girl, who obviously wished to live, tried to make 1000 cranes before her death. She ran out of time, and so her classmates made the rest and she was buried with 1000 paper cranes. She also wrote a poem in which she said something to the effect of "I write peace on your wing so that no other children will have to die in this way."

The paper crane has become an international symbol for peace, nuclear disarmament (sp) and the end of violence.

As I mentioned (to my students) the possibility of our school community doing this, I was surprised at their reactions--they honestly NEED to do something, and they were very, very interested in making an artistic statement like this. Some students asked if they could write a poem or prayer on their crane(s). I said yes, of course.

We will begin tomorrow, and I have several students who will teach others how to do this.

One of my Korean students also showed me how to make a relatively "simple" origami star. Some students (especially the younger ones) may choose to make a star in lieu of the cranes (which are harder to fold) and the stars will be included on the strings with the cranes. They seemed relieved to have a way to channel some of their feelings about this tragedy.

Still waiting to hear the fate of some people in NY and the Pentagon. My son's Spanish teacher had 2 sisters who worked in the WTC--one in each tower, each above the 80th floor. As of yesterday there was no news. Prayers for all.....

Sharon
email: sharon@art-rageous.net
website: http://www.art-rageous.net