Info on legit donation sites

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 09:27:43 PDT

Here is some info I got from an online newsletter warning of scams, and
how to donate to legitimate causes.

Maggie

This is a free service of http://www.ComputerProblems.com - We share
your PAIN!

If you find this information helpful, pass it on to others...

If you would like to be added or removed from this list, go to:
http://www.computerproblems.com/quikreg.cfm

As I write this newsletter, I struggle to deal with the various emotions
that we are all feeling about this week’s unconscionable events…

The national patriotism that this incident has created is one of the few
‘silver lining’ in this darkest of clouds. If you haven’t already done
so, you can show your support by displaying the American Flag, hugging
your neighbor and by participating in today’s National Day of Prayer and
Remembrance:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010913-7.html

But, please be careful of con artists that are attempting to take
advantage of our patriotism by posing to be an official collection
mechanism of the Red Cross, the fire department or other legitimate
organizations.

No legitimate organization is soliciting for relief funds via e-mail or
by phone so don’t respond to either.

If you receive a scam e-mail or phone call, you can report it at:
http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

If you want to make a financial contribution on-line, you can do so at
the following official sites:

The American Red Cross has setup an on-line store for contributions at:
http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-wtc

The NYC United Way official website for contributions is at:
https://www.uwnyc.com/epledge/sept11.cfm?ssPageName=HADN

Amazon is also collecting for the Red Cross at their site:
http://www.amazon.com

Paypal is also helping to collect for the Red Cross at:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/relief-outside
If you plan to contribute on-line be sure to verify security is in
place. It's the same as making an online purchase, so be sure the site
has a URL that includes "https" to indicate it's secure, shows a padlock
in your browser's status bar (bottom right corner), or displays a
VeriSign logo before you enter your credit card information.

The following sites are providing specific information about the victims
of the attack…

If you are trying to track a relative or friend at a hospital, go to:
http://www.nyc.com/goexsite.asp?url=http://www.nyc.gov/find.html

Contact phone numbers for those that worked around the Trade Centers are
at:
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/trade.center/contacts.html

The Justice Department's Office of Victims of Crime has set up a phone
line to provide information to families about victims and about services
for survivors and their rights: 1-800-331-0075

Friends and family who wish to check on passengers and flights can call:

   American Airlines: 1-800-245-0999
   United Airlines: 1-800-932-8555

The North American Center For Emergency Communications has setup a
Disaster Victims Information Exchange System at:
http://www.nacec.org/cgi-bin/dvis3?5&dsf

CNN has created a website that details the known victims at:
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/trade.center/victims.section.html

The New York Red Cross needs techs that can pitch in:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/showtell/story/0,23008,3347294,00.html

---