thoughts on pantyhose sculpture painting.....

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 22:41:10 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "Susan Holland" <Susan_Holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu>
> Earlier I had a question about using tempera over glue on the wire ?/hose>
>sculptures. My tempera crackled as it dried. With helpful suggestions from>
>many folks, I figured out my tempera was just to cheap and runny. A bottle of>
>more expensive stuff I bought was fine.

Your problem of the crackled effect is simple to fix. When it has happened
to us, we just SIMPLY take a small amount of water and brush over the
crackle sections and smooth out the paint. It usually occurs when the paint
is applied too heavily in an area.

> Instead of having to buy better quality tempera with my budget, I happen to
> have a bucket of liquitex acrylic gesso (I once primed one canvas on a
> stretcher with it and hated it because my canvas went from tight to
> stretchy-it felt like painting on a rubbery plastic sheet.)....

It still amazes me that many people feel this sculpture should be made
strong enough to break concrete! We just paint tempera (two coats) directly
on the hose (without the cost of using gesso first). There is SLIGHT
flexibility but what does that matter? My students don't tend to throw these
around so they don't need to be permanent bricks. You can check out our
sculptures on our middle school art webpage at....

Click on "Sculpture". Personally...I don't spend money for gesso when I can
put the $$$ to other good uses. We've never needed a glue or gesso undercoat
with our sculptures. Two good layers of SAX True Color (which is NOT your
expensive brand) works great as a base to begin painting on. Keeping it
layered with tempera allows some good blending to happen and we also use
water to aid in blending colors to dried colors. That is something you can't
do easily with acrylic. It IS a good idea to spray with clear matte spray
paint to "fix" the tempera afterwards.

The sculptures stay in great condition with only tempera as a base also. I
have several sculptures I have used as demos for different
workshops...carrying them long distances, mailing them cross-country to
Davis Publications for examples for their new middle school art textbooks,
etc...and they have held up extremely well. Soooooo...my point is...you
don't really need an under-base for these sculptures and you can also save
$$$ and time.

Toodles....Bunki

---