Re: aesthetics

---------

From: Michelle (mmolnar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 13:57:28 PDT

Gina,
Idea for lesson on aesthetics. I did a lesson last year with my high
schoolers (I got it from the NAEA National convention) where I found various
objects and pictures and gave each a number. Some were realistic prints,
others were very abstract and non-objective prints. I also had a piece of
wood, a fork, a green dot that I drew on a piece of paper, an advertisement,
a photograph of a house, etc. - you could include others. Each object or
print was labeled. Students numbered their papers 1-14 (for each object).
Then, they walked around, looked at the objects and wrote yes next to the
number if they thought it was art, and no if they didn't think it was art.
Oh, before they did this, they wrote a definition of art at the top of their
paper. When they were done deciding if each object was art, I put them in
groups of 3 and they discussed their answers and reasons with their group.
Then, they wrote a new definition of art based on their discussion. Last,
we discussed some of their answers and reasons as a class. I really like
this lesson and so did the kids. I hope this helps! -Michelle

---