Re: Bomb the sh- / An Arab Proverb

---------

From: Beth Goodwin (bgood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 19:49:56 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <RB7Surf7@aol.com>

Like many of you, my distress at the tragic events of Tuesday has been
overwhelming. My school has also chosen to ignore the situation and
scheduled a pep rally (not a remembrance assembly) for Friday. While I
have spoken with my students, as yet, haven't decided on what we will do in
art class. My newly formed art club met today and I was telling them about
the ArtsEdNet, the intelligent and caring people who are now posting such
thoughtful responses to Tuesday's attacks. I told them about the 1000
cranes peace project and asked them if they would like to work on that.
They were all very interested to DO SOMETHING. Someone on the list wrote
about taking comments into school and I thought I might print some off over
the weekend and use that for a starting point. Then.....

I came home tonight, looking forward to reading some more comments and
instead was confronted with the hateful message from RB7Surf7. Are you
REALLY a teacher? Your stupidity is truly amazing.

Our local paper publishes a quotation each day. Coincidentally, on Tuesday,
it was the following: "While the word is yet unspoken, you are master of
it; when once it is spoken, it is master of you." - An Arab Proverb.
While we all speak without thinking from time to time, these kind of
poisonous words mastered RD7Surf7 long ago.

---