sculpture: wire/nylon hose/glue/gesso

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 18:26:56 PDT

Hey everyone,
I have been experimenting with this neat sculpture lesson everyone raves about.
 Earlier I had a question about using tempera over glue on the wire /hose
sculptures. My tempera crackled as it dried. With helpful suggestions from
many folks, I figured out my tempera was just to cheap and runny. A bottle of
more expensive stuff I bought was fine.
Instead of having to buy better quality tempera with my budget, I happen to
have a bucket of liquitex acrylic gesso (I once primed one canvas on a
stretcher with it and hated it because my canvas went from tight to
stretchy-it felt like painting on a rubbery plastic sheet.) I thought I might
donate the gesso to my school supply closet for students to use on these
sculptures.
I am still experimenting with what I will have the students do, so I painted
over one stiff glue coated hose sculpture sample with the acrylic gesso. The
gesso turned it rubbery! The whole form is now soft and pliable and will dent
under finger pressure. Can anyone explain this to me???

by the way, here's a link to the lesson
http://homepage.mac.com/krohrer/iad/lessons/middle/middle23.html

---