Re: Bomb the...

---------

From: Sally & Mike Engle (salnmike_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 11:31:15 PDT

I have been on pins and needles as I have a dear friend (one of those extra
sons you get when your own son grows up) in Washington who works in the
Trade Center. I finally heard from him today and he's OK. He lost three
friends in the destruction. He also sent a picture of the Pentagon from the
roof of his apartment.
He also sent news that he has been verbally attacked by people in the
subways. He is Indian and these people looked at him and made a judgement.
He writes:

yesterday i was accosted by two people on the subway -- they were calling me
a ** arab towel-head" and threatening me as if i personally had something to
do with the bombings. that backlash is what scares me more than the attacks
themselves. its when your neighborhood becomes hostile to you that you feel
the magnitude of things. in some ways it reminded me of having heard the
same sort of names directed at me when we were in high school during the
Gulf War.

This kids lost his father in a senseless hotel bombing in Indianapolis about
twenty years ago. He and his mother, sister, and brother, have gone on with
their lives as best they could and focused on becoming the best citizens
they could. The guy and his siblings were born here, but his mother studied
hard and I still remember how proud she was when she was officially granted
citizenship.
Perhaps when we are talking about retaliation, we should remember that there
are innocents here and abroad that may lose their lives in the cause of
vengence. Yes - innocents lost their lives here for someone else's cause and
I do believe we have to work quickly and firmly for justice. But let's not
act in haste for revenge or lash out at people because they look Middle
Eastern. That makes us as bad as the people who attacked our country.
Vish also sent me an email that is encouraging people to light the lights on
Friday night at 7:00 eastern. I don't know how authentic it is, but if
everyone who reads the email does it, what a statement of solidarity we
would make.
Sally^.^

---