Re: suspicious email...spam advice needed

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 09:57:23 PDT

Wendy Manning wrote:

> Speaking of suspicious e-mail...
> I have been getting spammed with up to 500 messages a day..all the same
> message containing an attatchment and a brief message asking for "advice".

Wendy,

This isn't spam, it's a virus, probably SirCam or a variant, which the
sender(s) is unaware of. I've gotten similar messages. You would do
the person a favor by e-mailing them directly and informing them they
are infected and their personal files are being lifted and sent out.
Most of the ones I have gotten were from people I didn't know, but they
may have my address through either this list or another I belong to.

> I contacted the abuse dapt. of the sender's ISP (prodigy.net) and was told
> (computer response) that I needed to send them the whole internet header.to
> copy and paste. Well, it WON't copy and paste..it's in a little box by
> itself.

Don't confuse the headers with the attachment. Here's how to find the
headers (for Netscape):
Click on View at the top of your screen. Click on Headers in the drop
down menu. Select All. You will see many lines of text above the
message, with subjects such as Return-Path, Delivered To, Received From,
etc. Copy everything and paste it into the message you want to send to
the ISP.

> Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this? I haven't opened the
> attatchment or replied to the message..In the evening the messages arrive
> one per minute. The address ends with mx (Mexico?).

Yes, mx is the abbreviation for Mexico. And yes, these messages are
very annoying as they take forever to load, even when they are going
directly into your trash. If you do contact the sender, please don't be
angry or rude with them; as I said, they are probably unaware that this
is happening. Some of the people I informed about it were grateful for
a polite warning; they had been getting really nasty messages from some
of the recipients. Good luck, and congratulations on being aware enough
not to open the attachments.

Maggie

---