More on the Peace Dove lesson

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 04:02:09 PDT

I guess I should have elaborated more on how I did this project....

http://members.aol.com/Sabetour/Dovecraft.html

My students drew the shape of a dove on 9 x 12 tag board (I had a few
patterns for student who couldn't get the body large enough -- this was
just a one day assignment) - they designed the tail any way they chose --
cut them out --then decorated with markers (I encouraged the use of symbols
and words that represented Peace to them on one side -- repeat patterns on
the other side).... A slit was made in the side of the body with an Xacto
knife for the wings. The wings were fan folded 8 1/2 x 11" colored
photocopy paper. the students selected a color that went with the design of
their dove. The wrote their messages for World Peace on the paper -- then
fan folded it -- inserted through the slit. The ends of the folded paper
were brought up to make a semi-circular fan shape. These doves were hung in
the cafeteria - we just paper clipped them to a fish line that was strung
between tow posts.

I will send files to anyone who wishes them.

Judy

---