thousand cranes

---------

From: Randy (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 03:01:09 PDT

As I read the digest today I saw that someone else also thought of the
1000 crane project. As I left for school (high school)on Wednesday... I
tried to think of something pro-active.

We talked about the cranes... then in my art classes students were
invited to write a memory, or fear, or hope ...or draw an image. Then we
folded them. We folded them as a crane or a flapping bird. As each
class participated...( and many had kids who had NEVER done any origami
;) ) Kids helped other kids... and it was very theraputic.

We started calling them birds of hope for the people who may still be
found alive...whether they were people who were just out of
communication with others, or people still alive under rubble.

Then we strung them up. I have invited kids back to make birds and
several came back.

I have also told my students that Terrorism only suceeds if we allow it
to . Terrorism's intent is to make you afraid, all the time. While the
attacks may essentially change us as Americans....I for one will not
allow it to terrorize me.

Randy in Maine

PS the birds spawned cups and boxes and water baloons etc... You have
to love being around creative people.

---