Re: school's responses to attack

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 22:15:56 PDT

A couple of years ago I went to a workshop by an art therapist who dealt
with young people, mostly teenager in trouble--emotional--and often
related to deaths of loved ones, guilt associated with the person who is
gone--should have dones/should have saids... Anyway, she did an exercise
with the kids where they each wrote
a message to a person who had died or perhaps was missing or who they knew
and had lost touch with. Anyway, the message is private. When all the
kids had written their messages they were put in a bowl and burned.
Symbolically the smoke joins the spirt of these lost souls. Then the
ashes are mixed with clay and the students made pinch pots out of them.
She found it wonderfully releasing for these kids and felt like it really
helped them. The burning might be a problem here--but sometimes kids want
a tactile connection to things that are troubling them emotionally.
for what it's worth... Sid
# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #