Re: Latex/ tragedy

---------

From: krista hagan (khagan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 19:39:20 PDT

Thank you everyone for the latex info. One quick question. Can I still
have the other students use gesso, or can an allergic person be nowhere
near it? I would have him across the room a bit (SO MANY latex allergies
in this school, the kids wouldn't think anything of a student's
allergies keeping him at another table while they paint on the gesso).
I'm not sure if it just means they can't touch it, or if someone is
painting on dried gesso near them, they will have a reaction.

I am so sorry for all who have a lost or hurt loved one because of
yesterday's disgusting events. I'm on Long Island, and thankfully, my
friends who live/work in the city are okay, but some who worked right
next to the Trade Center saw the crashes, people jumping, etc. I can't
imagine seeing that and I am so sorry for those of you who had to watch
this, especially with your students. I have a permanent lump in my
throat as I am sure we all do.
We still are not sure of the status of all our students' parents. A girl
in the 7th grande told me her father worked at the 2nd building and was
there at the time of collapse and they still haven't heard from him. I
wanted to cry because she said "It was weird because he always calls at
7:00, but the phones are down so he can't get through." This girl's poor
mother (bravely and intelligently) must have realized there is no point
in scaring her daughter, so sent her to school as if everything is
normal. She thinks they just haven't heard from him because the phones
are down. I hope to he is in a hospital somewhere. Please include this
little girl in your prayers.
I'll be praying for everyone.
-Krista

---