school's responses to attack

---------

From: wendy free (wendfree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 13:43:58 PDT

hi,

i am interested to hear how other schools and school districts are
addressing our national tragedy. i teach at a high school in florida. i am
of the belief that an event of this magnitude deserves to be dealt with in a
concrete, unified, strong, and responsible manner as possible concerning our
students. in my classes today i followed the lead of artsednetter michelle
and gave my students an opportunity to write and draw to begin grappling
with their thoughts and feelings about the attack. at the end of the day i
was overcome by what i had seen and heard. i went to my assistant principal
and asked if preparations were being made to address the tragedy as a
school. i was told it was up to individual teachers. i then went to my
teacher mailbox and found a flier announing a school pep rally this friday.
i feel sick at the disservice i feel we are doing to our students. when i
got home i called the superintendent's representative and asked if our
school district was formulating some type of plan to assist students with
this crisis. i felt like the rep thought i was nuts.

it would be great to know that some districts and school leaders out there
do have plans to support students as a educational community in some
thoughtful, organized way. maybe i could share some of these ideas with my
school leaders. meanwhile, i will continue, along with some other teachers,
to help in my classroom. i know there is no right way to cope with this,
and it is very difficult for me to grapple with myself, but i am
disappointed with what i perceive as a lack of interest and lack of
responsibility. i am thankful for the ideas of all the artsednetters and
for the inspirational words i have heard televised from other leaders. i
and my students hope with all our hearts for peace for all, for an end to
this suffering. our hearts ache with you.

wendy free

---