Sad time...what we can do

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 12:59:44 PDT

Holly said
> I recall that when I was new at my school last year, students were not
> respectful during the Pledge of Allegiance. I admonished them and tried to
> explain how lucky they were to live in this great country of liberty and
> freedom.

I teach high school. For years it has perplexed me the disregard for the
pledge. Sometimes they won't even stand in silence. Today all the students
stood and said it loud and listened to the words they were saying.

I belong to a world teachers list, and the messages from around the world
are incredible.

I got this message from another source and it offers many ways to help.

A Tragedy has Stuck America. As we mourn the deaths of thousands of victims,
we need to pray and keep in our hearts the 266 plane passengers, 800 plus
pentagon employees, and the uncounted victims in New York.

We ask that if there is anything that you can do please help!
Donation, Volunteer, Flight Information, and FBI hotline/website if you have
any information on these tragic events. Is provided Below.

For more information on helping victims of the U.S. attacks, visit
http://helping.org/promos/cs_wtc.adp

The United Way of New York and the New York Community Trust have established
a fund to help the victims of the attacks and their families. The September
Eleventh Fund will provide immediate support to established emergency
assistance agencies. Anyone wishing to contribute may send their donations
in care of United Way, 2 Park Ave, New York, New York, 10016 or call:
212-251-4035.
Donations are also being accepted on United Way of New York City's Web site:
http://www.uwnyc.org.

American Red Cross, cash donations:
(800) HELP-NOW

Salvation Army, cash donations:
(800) SAL-ARMY

All trained medical personnel willing to go into Manhattan to assist victims
and emergency workers may call 516-656-9254 or 516-656-9252. The City of
Glen Cove, New York is coordinated transportation of medical personnel via
ferry to Manhattan.

The American Red Cross is in need of blood to replenish the nation's supply.
Call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE to schedule an appointment near where you live.

Friends and family who wish to check on passengers and flights may call:
American Airlines, 1-800-245-0999
United Airlines, 1-800-932-8555

FBI tip Web site
http://www.ifccfbi.gov