Latex info

---------

From: Judy Nagel (jdnag_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 08:15:29 PDT

FYI Here is some information re latex in some popular art products. I hope
this will help those concerned. Judy
The Sax gesso and True Flow acrylics do not contain latex. All Chromacryl
acrylics do not contain latex.
Palmer face paints contain a synthetic latex while most allergies are for
natural latex. Of course gloves and our rubber latex for flexible molds
contain latex. There is no natural latex used in Liquitex products. In fact,
the only
products ColArt (Liquitex parent company) manufactures containing rubber
latex are Art Masking Fluid and Colorless Art Masking Fluid. Both these
products are labeled for possible allergic reaction. There is no
formaldehyde, peanut oil, dairy products, egg or wheat products used in
Liquitex products. Liquitex Acrylic Paints, Mediums and Varnishes are water
based (and water clean up). There are no fumes associated with using
Liquitex other than a slight ammonia smell. All Liquitex products are
labeled "AP Non-Toxic" by
The Art and Creative Materials Institute with the exception of the
following:
Cadmium Colors - do not spray apply
Liquitex Soluvar Varnish - contains Mineral Spirits
Marble Ease Marbling Medium - contains alcohol
Toxicologists at the Art and Creative Materials Institute have been
certifying safety and quality in art materials since 1940. New Liquitex
labels use the AP symbol to indicate Non-Toxic but the phrase "Non-Toxic"
has been removed due to European labeling standards. Liquitex products are
also labeled for California Prop. 65 which requires that any trace amount
(no matter how small) of a toxic substance appear on the label.
For more information you can contact the ACMI directly.
The Art and Creative Materials Institute
1280 Main St., 2nd. Floor
PO Box 479
Hanson, MA 02341
781-293-4100 Fax 781-294-0808