Today's events - A world prayer fest is needed

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 15:40:15 PDT

I pray that our government makes the right decisions.... I pray for all of
those who have lost friends and loved ones. I pray for all who were
injured -- for the children who have lost their parents. I can not imagine
the horror for you teachers in the New York area.

Michelle asked how we are dealing with this in our classes:

>I just feel like I HAVE to address this
>somehow. Maybe there's too much discussion about it- what are all of you
>doing?

My sixth graders came to class today full of questions -- we had just found
out about the attack. They asked to watch the news report so I turned the
TV on. We watched it for a short time and I answered questions that I could
(They had a lot about the Trade Center and Pentagon Buildings, too -- I
looked up some information on the Internet for them) - then they got their
drawings out to work on. My principal came around to all of our classes and
told us to turn the TV's off (told me I should teach art).... The students
still had many questions so I e-mailed the social studies teachers for the
6th graders and told them how interested my students were and asked if they
could talk more about it in their classes (told my seventh graders to take
their questions to their social studies teachers tomorrow - maybe they
could squeeze the topic into social studies?). I kept the TV off during
classes the rest of the day. Our city paper printed a special section this
afternoon and is donating a copy for every child in our building. Students
will be permitted to talk about it tomorrow in their core classes (as time
is to be set aside to read from the paper).

I wanted to tell the students to have a moment of silence for the
victims--- but I knew better.... (I was severely reprimanded for saying
that "prayer works" to one class)

My husband and son came home today and told me that the principal in their
building (different school) came on over the PA and told all of them to
turn their TV's on .... They watched the news and discussed it the entire
day. Their school has a moment of silence every morning so I imagine they
will have a moment of silence tomorrow morning for all of the victims.

Thank you Tracey for remembering us.... Thank you to the churches in South
Africa.

Michelle, I like your idea of making a book. Bookmaking is art.

Judy Decker

---