Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: this infamous day

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 13:08:56 PDT

My deepest sympathy also goes out to any of you who were affected by today's
tragedies. Unfortunately, I feel that we are all just beginning to be
affected. My kids were either numb or hysterical today at the news. After
I heard it, I honestly tried to go on with normal plans so that it could be
as normal of a day possible. Now, I realize I really need to approach this
in my art classes because it may be the only place these kids can express
what they're feeling right now. I think tomorrow, I'm going to give each
kid a piece of paper and let them write and scribble everything they know
and feel about the past 24 hours. Maybe we'll put it in a book or
something. I went to the NAEA session in NY by the art teacher from
Columbine and remember how her school used bookmaking as a form to just get
it all out. Even though we're already squeezing out possible every minute of
each class on current projects, I just feel like I HAVE to address this
somehow. Maybe there's too much discussion about it- what are all of you

Michelle H. Harrell
Southeast Raleigh High School
Center for Accelerated Studies
Raleigh, North Carolina