Re: Latex Allergy...need info

---------

From: Joy McGugan (mizjmac_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 02:04:00 PDT

My sister has severe latex allergies. She is a CNA and has to wear special no powder gloves. She used to be too shy to ask the dentist to wear a certain type of glove until she couldn' t breathe after leaving one appointment. Sitting in the back seat of a car filled with balloons will cause her to swell up like one (she didn't think of balloons as latex). This spring she had surgery and the last thing she told them before going under was to remind them of her allergy. Well, mid-way through the surgery her oxygen level dropped and she went into some kind of convulsions. They disconnected everything and started calling manufacturers & companies. Found out that one little tiny piece was the culprit. When she woke she had signs posted everywhere around her. Even the surgeon told her he was scared.

20/20 or some show had a program on latex allergies a couple of years ago. I don't mean to sound like an alarmist, but it's not to be taken lightly.

Joy