portrait proportions

---------

From: vicki ranck (vranck_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 20:22:26 PDT

hello,
i do this with my 6th graders:
i begin with having them draw an eye,discuss the shape, basically a football
shape. from there everything is based on the length of the eye from corner
to corner.example: once they have one shape drawn i have them measure one
eye length to the next eye, mark it off. then we discuss, i show them, the
various parts of the eye; iris (shaped like a "U" unless very suprised or
sleepy) , pupil (always shaded mostly black perhaps pacman shaped), eyebrow,
eye lashes...next, the nose, i tell them it is appx. 1 1/2 to 2 eye lengths
long and only as wide as the inside corners of the eye.the divet (sp?)the
space under the nose is only as big as the iris. the lips, only as wide as
the pupils and shaped like two mountains and a crater, various shapes
occur....the chin is only appx 1 eye length below the mouth. the top of the
head is the distance of the eyes to the chin...the side of the head is appx.
1/2 an eye length (although i was taught the head is 5 eye lengths
wide...always looks too wide for me) the hairline is appx. 2 eyelengths from
the eyes. hair grows up and out in various textures. the nose is shaped like
two parenthesis and a wavy bar. the ears fall between the eyes and the
bottom of the nose, the neck is shaped roughly like a tree trunk and the
shoulders each a head wide.
is this any help?
vicki

Send a cool gift with your E-Card