middle school sculpture/latex allergy

---------

From: krista hagan (khagan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 15:39:37 PDT

This week another teacher and I want to start a found object sculpture
with our 6th graders. Their sculptures will be based on a poem that they
write about their objects (will make a list of subjective words and a
list of objective words, then use both lists to create a poem). So, the
objects will be painted and "decorated" according to the mood/theme of
their poem. However, I have a couple of students who are allergic to
latex paint. I was going to use acrylic as I'm afraid tempera won't hold
on a lot of materials.
Any suggestions on other ways to color/cover the objects? Also, I need
to use ( acrylic) gesso with another class that has a student with latex
allergies. Is it okay if I gesso for him and he only paints with tempera
on top of dried gesso? It's all new to me and any help would be really
appreciated.
Thanks!
-Krista

---