monochromatic mona

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 08:31:31 PDT

With the recent thread about the Renaissance going on,
I thought I would share a lesson I did with my 8th
grade painting class. I am approaching this class from
an historical perspective, and I wanted to do a fresco
lesson about the Sistene chapel when we discussed the
Renaissance, but I was not able to get the supplies
together in time. Anyway, Monochromatic Mona was my
solution. The students redrew Mona and painted her
with a monochromatic color scheme. Can you beleive
that 8th graders didn't know her name or who painted
her? Beleive me, they know now! They learned so much
about tints and shades, and complements. I felt like
it was a success, especially since many artists
suggest doing master studies anyway. Points were
subtracted if an outsider could not tell it was Mona
(this was included on the rubric).

Jayna