Re: Must Buy Sax Paint for School! your thoughts?

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 05:08:12 PDT

>The tempura and acrylic paints were chosen from the Sax arts and
> crafts cat. Anyone have feedback for me on the quality of paint
> available through sax paint...thanks RB

After quite a few years, I buy two brands of paint...either from Sax or
Nasco, both have them. I use the 1/2gallon containers of Chromacryl's
paint, with the pumps inserted. Over long weekends or for any length of
time I store them, I rip off a small square of plastic from a garbage
bag...wrap around the pump nozzle end and mask tape it. This keeps them
from plugging up.

Its very convenient, and I work to teach kids to take about a nickle to
quarter sized amount of paint and go back when more is needed. I get two
blues, two yellows, two reds, white and black. Each variation of the
primary is a warm and a cool one, and works nicely with my emphasis on color
temperature thinking for mixing color.

The only thing I have noticed is because of its being student grade, the red
color lifts when a brush on gloss medium is used to varnish the final
painting. Perhaps not enough polymer in it. Thus, I purchase a few gloss
sprays, as it is the brushing action that lifts that red and streaks it.
ITs not a major streak job, just a little here or there that irritates me.

I use styrofoam plates for palettes, or I buy freezer wrap paper and have
the kids tape corners down...shiny side up. Paint goes on a small plastic
paint in the latter case, and the mixing is done on the freezer wrap paper.
Then all is easily disgarded and the plastic plates are cleaned off.

As concerns tempera, I get the Crayola powders and mix them as needed. My
budget gets a bit limited from time to time, so instead of buying a lot of
watercolor cakes, I'll use tempera paint. I find it easy teaching the kids
to put paint on the freezer wrap paper up along the top edges....then use
water to dilute the paint with the tip of the brush as needed to create
watercolor-like useful color. A pint of tempera paint used thus goes
unbelievably far and is nearly making buying separate watercolor paints
obsolete. Of course, I use the tempera for its routine and ordinary
purposes with elementary. However, the attitude that "tempera paint is for
elementary kids!" is eleviated with my older kids when they see the nice
effects you can get using it in a watercolor consistency.

I have my kids sketch with black ink ballpoint pens, then apply thin
transparent tempera color washes over the sketches. Quick, yet pleasing
results.

Larry S.
http://lseiler.artistnation.com

---