Re: old oil pastels

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilensk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 12:16:32 PDT

Susan,
I used to do a project with old oil pastels that you may be interested in. I took some white tag board and gessoed it with white gesso. Then color the drawing in with the oil pastels and, using a brush dipped in odorless turpentine or painting medium, liquify the pastels. This takes an ordinary
coloring and turns it into an oil painting. This is a popular project with upper elementary kids, who are pretty capable of using a small container of turp without toxic results. I haven't done this project in over 20 years, but your query reminded me of it, so I may get it going again! Hope this
helps.

Jerry

---