My first week of projects

---------

From: Kimberly Hutts (kimberly_hutts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 10:28:27 PDT

Hello everyone,

This week I taught my students about color. I had
most of my classes to create a color wheel. For the
kindergarten I had them to put their hand into a plate
of their favorite color of paint and print it onto the
center of a large piece of paper. Then they used
their thumb or fingers to print the primary and
secondary colors around their hand print to create a
color wheel. They turned out great and the mess
wasn't bad at all because they used a wet paper towel
to wipe out their hands and fingers between each
color. The first grade used torn paper to create a
color wheel sun. I had them to tear a circle out of
white paper and then tear the rays for the sun using
the primary and secondary colors. Then they glued
them down in the right order. Of course, I had to
have some of the kids move some of their rays in order
to get it right, but most of them didn't have a
problem. The spacing of the rays was also a bit
difficult for them. I had the second grade to trace
their hand six time to create a circle. Then they
used markers to color them in with the primary and
secondary colors. One kid's is almost perfect. I am
having the third graders to trace and overlap a shape
so that it covers an entire sheet of paper and then
they will use the primary and secondary color to color
them in. The overlapped areas have to be colored in
with the color created by mixing the primary colors of
the overlapping shapes. I'm not sure that I explained
that clearly, but I don't know how else to explain it
in words. The fourth grade is tracing a shape to
create a circle. They have to trace the shape twelve
times being sure that each shape overlaps the last a
little. Then they will color in each shape with the
appropriate primary secondary or tertiary color. I
have the fifth grade doing color bursts. We talked
about the color wheel and the three most common color
schemes. Then, on a white piece of paper they had to
use colored pencils to create monochromatic bursts of
color. They could make the bursts dark in the center
and then work out to a very light edge or start white
in the center and work out to a very dark edge. I
required at least three bursts and allowed them to
make each burst a different color if they wanted to,
but a single burst had to be a single color. The
sixth grade is making tessellations which they will
then color in using one of the color schemes. Well,
that is what I'm doing right now. I would love to
hear about your projects. I'm still waiting for my
first order to come in before I can get started on my
World Tour idea. I'll let you know how things are
going.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Hutts