Re: "Talking Walls" Social Studies curriculum

---------

From: Linda Papanicolaou (paplinda_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 09:32:37 PDT

Judy:

Don't forget Romanesque frescoes. There's a large and
growing bibliography on the subject of [whether/how]
illustrating sacred narratives in medieval churches
served to instruct illiterate people the Bible. One
book that comes to mind (because I happen to have it
on hand) is Marilyn Aronberg Lavin, The Place of
Narrative: Mural Decoration in Italian Churches,
431-1600 (Univ.Chicago 1990). I can dig up more
references if this interests you.

Also, what about grafitti (ancient Egypt, Pompeii,
20th c. American urban, etc)?