Re: new integrated elementary curriculum

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 07:16:20 PDT

How do you feel about integration? This would determine how I would approach
this matter. I love to integrate - but not the way you are being asked to. I
will do my Mayan names when 5th grade studies that culture, Egyptian masks
when 6th grade studies Egypt, etc. I believe students get much more out of
these lessons when they are being reinforced in both classrooms. BUT, I do
not do this for every lesson, and I choose when to do these lessons. I agree
that what you are being asked to do is unprofessional. How are you supposed
to accomplish all of the national/state outcomes? Is music/pe/library/band
being asked to do this new schedule as well? If so, work closely with them
because they are sure not to like it any more than you. If they aren't I
would be asking why their curriculum is more important than yours. Get the
classroom teachers on your side. Good luck!
~Michal

>SNIP>My question for other art teachers out there is how might I approach
my new
administrator to explain how difficult this makes my job as an art teacher?
feel like I have to put the curriculum I was planning (when I thought my
students would be having art twice a week with me) aside and wait for the
classroom teacher to give me something to grab onto ... then scramble to put
together, as best I can and very quickly, an integrated art lesson plan,
week
to week. I believe the idea and practice of an integrated curriculum is
excellent, but on such short notice, with no planning, it feels so
unprofessional. Is there any other way I might approach this new change?

---