Re: Planning time/union

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 06:34:06 PDT

Sharon Henneborn wrote:

> The unions are volunteer workers and they must budget their time and
> energies. It has been my experience that they put energies into areas
> where there is lots of activity and attention. In my district many of
> the specials teachers are volunteers. I have served on many different
> positions in my years of teaching. In our district the specials get
> involved in the union big time so we keep the attention on our needs!

Well put Sharon,
        The union is us, we are the union, and we need to let our brothers and
sisters who do volunteer work for "our" union what our specific problems are.
I hope the teachers who are having problems and want them addressed by
our unions are members of their unions or associations. In most states
our
unions must negotiate for "all" (members and non members) and represent
"all" in grievance procedures. But beyond that don't expect the union to
help much if you are not a member. I'm amazed how much we get done in
Kansas (my district), a right to work state, with about 50% membership.
I can only imagine how much we could do with 100%.
                                Support Your Union, Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on  mailto:wduncan@kc.rr.com