Re: Planning time/union

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 20:29:31 PDT

The unions are volunteer workers and they must budget their time and
energies. It has been my experience that they put energies into areas
where there is lots of activity and attention. In my district many of
the specials teachers are volunteers. I have served on many different
positions in my years of teaching. In our district the specials get
involved in the union big time so we keep the attention on our needs!

The Union doesn't go searching for issues. Unless the issue is
brought to the attention of the union volunteers nothing will change.
Everyone who has this problem needs to keep the problem in the front
of the attention with the union. again and again and again! I said
in a previous post that the administrators in our district tried to
count planning time in pieces. All of us who were involved made sure
that the union was made aware and kept it on the agenda until it was
resolved.

You can see that I feel strongly that the union needs to be responsive
but the members have a big responsibility to communicate their
concerns and get involved.