Re: The face or portrait-

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 19:10:15 PDT

I have done an assignment where I stand on the table at the far end of the
room and the kids sight on
me with one eye and their pencil top. Sort of like the typical cartoon of
an artist sighting with his paintbrush handle.
 They put the eraser tip on the top
of my head and slide their thumb down till they have one head length, then
this becomes their standard unit of measure.
Then I have them hold on to the one head and move it down, marking the
air, to count how many heads tall I am. Then we break it down into
parts--how many heads am I from shoulder to waist, waist to top of thigh
(had to stop using that" crotch" word! etc. till they draw a version of
me. They universally make legs too short so I have them measure me in the
air from head to crotch, then compare it to the legs and they are quite
amazed to discover they are the same.
This is a good assignments for most kids, but there are always a few in
each class that just don't get it--and of course you have to be willing to
stand on a table and have kids draw you after careful measurement looking
like a football tackle--or much worse--a middle aged woman!! oh, I am....
Sid

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #