Re: Help! Art on the Cart

---------

From: Janice Keenan (jekteachme_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 17:08:24 PDT

   I was on the art cart for 10 years and one thing
for sure is that teachers tend to be very territorial
about their classroom and how it is managed. When we
enter with the cart, we are seen, unfortunatly, in
their space. Which really isn't the case, for when the
art teacher is there teaching art, the room has now
become the art room. You definitly have to be
assertive about how you manage your art class although
at the same time, be open for some tips that might
work better that the classroom teacher might have to
offer.It's a matter of respect, tact and diplomacy
(and humor)!
  In the very beginning of the year (before classes
start)I gave all the teachers a letter on what is
going on in art and letting them know I'm aware of
their standards and how many of the art standards
overlap theirs and that we can work together in many
areas. I also explained my art rules, consequences and
rewards.I even addressed the issue of being on the art
cart. For the most part, it really seemed to help
because before I even entered into their room, they
knew what to expect.
  Be patient...if you make your art program strong,
respect will be there and most teachers will think
twice before they tell you how to run your class.
   Jan in Miami