Re: HS - no supplies help

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 15:32:04 PDT

On 9/5/2001 1:27 AM, "Paulette Keck" <tcsfp@hotmail.com> wrote:

> First of all, THANKS to everyone who responded to my question about paper
> supplies for my newly aquired high school art program. I definitely feel
> better about ordering. If only I had a budget to order from...
Paulette,
Funny I saw this email - I was just thinking about you and wondering how
your new position was going. I guess I have part of the answer. Do you get
any support in other ways? What classes are you teaching? How is the school
otherwise?
    School here is much the same as where I left off last year. Most of the
kids we have this year are returning from last year and all the faculty
returned, making things very stable. I have spent a lot of time in the
computer lab during the first few weeks, but I think that should taper down
some. Then I can get to working on MY stuff.
    When I taught in the inner-city school in Milwaukee, the principal
wasn't very supportive of the arts. Or should I say, he felt that academics
were the only important things. Art, music, and phy ed were so the teachers
could have prep time. Anyway, during a staff meeting, he told the teachers
that they could have $200 to spend on miscellaneous items for their
classroom. Books and other supplies were already ordered and not part of
this money. He didn't mean us though. Music and art were to get no money,
period. I stood up and asked, "what about us?" Reluctantly he gave us the
$200 for our entire budget. Luckily there was some paper and some bottles of
tempera, etc. in the general school supply room. Plus I was very strict with
the kids about not wasting any supplies and that they had to take care of
the markers, etc. So I used the supplies left over from last year. I was
also quite good at making something out of nothing, so we had a lot of
artwork that used recycled materials, whether it be paper scraps, yarn
snibbles, or pringles cans. Needless to say, I moved on to another school
after that year. I wanted to be in a school where art was appreciated as a
subject in its own right, not as prep time. Do you have access to computers
so that you can do computer graphics with them? You'll have to be more
resourceful with your projects, but you'll somehow make it though the year.
I wish you luck!

                   | Melissa Enderle |
                 /)| melissa@afribone.net.ml |(\
                / )| || \
             __( ( art teacher/ adaptive art /_) ) )__
             \ / \ /
              \ _/ \_ /
              / / \ \
             / / \ \